The first mention of Whelnetham occurs in the great land survey of the whole country ordered by William the Conqueror and completed in 1086. This shows that the village was among the possessions of the Abbot of Bury St Edmunds in the Hundred of Thedwastre.
”In Huelfiham are 41 villeins with 6 carucates of land. There are 12 bordars. Always 16 ploughs among them all. And wood for 10 pigs. Two churches endowed with 40 acres of free land held by religious service. This vill has one league in length and six quarentenes in breadth”.
Taken from Great Whelnetham – A brief account of the fortunes of a Suffolk Village from Roman times to the present day – Robin Hambrook